Sunday, August 3, 2008

My Summer Vacation

Well, I survived 12 days on the road visiting family in Tennessee, Virginia, and New York. I played golf in 4 states and Canada. This brings my totals to 259 courses in 24 states and 14 countries. We drove over 2,200 miles after flying almost 1,500 miles. It was a long trip, but well worth it to see family for the first time in awhile.

Here are the courses I played and a short review for each.....

Glenrochie Country Club, Abingdon, Virginia. I played it with my Dad and two of his good friends. I have played it a couple of times before, and it is always in awesome condition. This year was no different. It was a quick awakening from playing basically flat courses in Arizona, going to a very hilly track. I played okay, not as well as I wanted, but do we ever?

Culbertson Hills Golf Resort, Edinboro, Pennsylvania. The Pro Shop staff put me out first at about 6:45 and the course was great. I had forgotten how much dew can be on the grass when your playing golf back east early in the morning. The greens were fast and I couldn't figure out the breaks at all. But, I shot a 79, with two balls in the water and no birdies. I'll take it. If you're in the area, check the course out, it is a good one. www.clubertsonhills.com

Willowbrook Golf Course, Lockport, New York. Head Golf Professional Mark Doel and his staff were great, they worked me in on a busy Saturday morning with a group of members who showed me all the ins and outs of Willowbrook. This 27 hole facility was in good shape, quick greens and nice lush fairways. I played the South and West courses. We had a couple of lightning delays and quick storms that played through. The restaurant and bar were one of the nicest at a public course I have seen. If you're in Western New York, you should take time to play here. www.willowbrook.biz

Niagara On The Lake Golf Course, Ontario, Canada. I found out that this is the oldest continuously operated golf course in North America and changed my plans to play it. The Pro Shop Man - Al, was very helpful and worked me in right away. I played with a member who helped me keep the ball in play on this short, but very tight track. Very cool course, right on the edge of Lake Ontario in a small village with tons of shops. Excellent restaurant that looks out over Lake Ontario and Fort Niagara. Thanks to Head Pro Billy Simkin and his great staff. www.notlgolf.com

Kenny Perry's Country Creek Golf Course, Franklin, Kentucky. This is the course I really wanted to make sure and play on the trip. We drove from Niagara Falls to Franklin in one day, about 12 hours. I was greeted just as I thought I would be, with southern hospitality. The guys in the shop took excellent care of me and got me out with a couple of great local boys, Chris and Shannon. I had a good round of 76, with a 9 on hole #13, a 573 yard, par 5, where I hit my first ball OB and my 5th shot up against a fence. We had a blast, the course is awesome, the whole atmosphere was just how I wanted to end my vacation. If you ever get to this part of the country, you need to play this course. The Pro Shop is full of Kenny Perry memorabilia, including a signed President's Cup Photo from 2005, with all the team members signatures. Just one of many great pieces on display. If I were to retire anyplace besides Southeastern Arizona, it would be next door to Kenny Perry's Country Creek Golf Course.
www.kpcountrycreek.com

Check out the websites for these courses and put them on your list of places to play.

Here is a nice vacation sunset picture looking across Lake Ontario. Nice place to sip a cold one at the end of the day.



1 comment:

Turquoise Valley said...

I finally got around to checking out the blog. And it's great, even your manic obsession with cataloging your golf conquests and collecting their scorecards, much as some other serial obsessionists might collect, say fingernails.

Serial golfing is definitely healthier: Bravo!

I could be wrong and I'm not going back to double check either, but if you had already played 255 courses and one of the four you mentioned on this recent trip was one you'd played a couple times before, how does that bring your total to 259? If your math is correct, I'd like to see the missing review.

If I'm wrong, then I've embarrassed myself publicly and it remains for you to point that out to the world. But that's what blogs are all about, right?

Keep up the fine website.